Sunday, April 15, 2012

Bellyotes & Bowolves

Typical night at home with me and Carly.
Every now and then I get the urge to start a blog. Now, I think I might have a good reason to. You see, Carly and I have decided to embark upon the journey of parenthood. We decided this rather deliberately, and not out of any particular dream of "having kids someday" or "wanting to be a parent." No, we think it will be a fun experiment and want to see how well we could do at this thing. Sure, there's probably a bit of evolutionary conditioning in there, and not a small amount of parental and social pressure, but I like to think that none of those things weighed heavily on our decision. Rather, it seems like an interesting venture, we have all the materials we need to get started, and we think that there will be some prizes at the end.

This blog will generally track my experiences and observations in the procreation process, a place to vent if needs be, and room to wax philosophical whenever I like.

The name derives from Carly and my words for the sounds that your guts make when you're hungry. Those long, howling whines that come up from your belly and sound like coyotes are bellyotes (pronounced belly-OH-tees). Bowolves (prounced BOW-wolves). are the sounds of growling and grumbling sounds of a wolf deep in your bowels. These concepts apply directly to the idea of having a child--a little monster in your guts, declaring its horrible intent.

So, Bellyotes & Bowolves will be the theme for that thing that will very likely be rumbling in Carly's guts over the next many months. I hope you enjoy it.

8 comments:

  1. So she's been impregnated by the tattoo ink of a giant squid?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope not! Because that would be the first time.

      http://snopes.com/pregnant/octopus.asp

      Delete
  2. Think hard on this one. Just sayin'. I live vicariously through you, and that will end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a shit life, Laura.

      Wait, no, not really. We're all doing quite well. And we will continue to allow you to live vicariously through us, as we will easily forget we have a child when we have one.

      Delete
    2. And what I mean by that is, you and Jimmy and the kids are awesome and you should keep it up.

      Delete
  3. I get the impression that you believe you are the scientists and a future child is the subject in the experiment...oh how surprised you will be.....ohhhh hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an evil laugh at the end of my comment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You seem to forget who you're dealing with! Just you wait...

      Delete