Sunday, May 6, 2012

Sitting Alone in a Small Room, Surrounded by Vaginas

It's a Tuesday and Carly has been showing all the textbook symptoms of being pregnant for about three or four weeks, so we have an appointment with her OBGYN physician in Bayonne. She gets the address wrong and we have to drive around a little bit until we find it, but we make it right on time. The building is a low-slung brick thing that used to be someone's house. In fact, the building still has a lot of vestiges of the former dwelling and it really does feel like you're in someone's dining room when you are filling out forms and waiting for the nurse to call you in. A few minutes later, the doctor comes into the exam room and fires up the ultrasound machine. Just seconds into the exam he says, without any deliberation at all, "You need to go to the bathroom!" Carly chuckles nervously, the doctor steps out. She throws on her jeans and exits the room quickly.

Then I'm left, sitting, alone in a small room, surrounded by vaginas.

OBGYN offices are unabashed about showing off the stuff of their trade. There are big, plastic models, posters with bas-relief displays of all the bounty of a woman's secrets. There was an interactive standing thing on the counter that advertised a new form of IUD (inter-uterine device, a contraceptive thingamajig) that has bouncing ovaries, if you jiggle it a little. The illustrations of women with cutaways, showing how the baby should be lodged in her guts, have fantastic breasts.

Then Carly and the doctor come back in, they reset the exam, and start again. After a little twisting and zooming and drawing of lines much like on an AutoCAD display, the doc steps back and says, "from what I see here, and I'm very confident about this... this is not going to be a viable pregnancy. I'm sorry." He doesn't give us enough time for it to really sink in, but Carly and I exchange meaningful glances. "Ah, shit," my eyeballs say. "Fucking hell!" says the corner of her mouth.

The doc goes on to explain that about one-in-three of all pregnancies--all known pregnancies--end up in what is called an "anembryonic" pregnancy, or a blighted ovum. That means that there was an egg/sperm collision at some point, and the thing lodged into the uterine wall, but that was it. Something wrong with the egg or sperm caused a "chromosomal failure," or some other disaster, so the cell failed to divide and that was that. The egg sac that was implanted was just a dark blob filled with some placental tissue and a few dead cells. We had one of those. Based on the size of everything, Carly was about 7-8 weeks along in the pregnancy, and there should be a little creature in there with a heartbeat and budding arms and legs and a head (no fingers yet). Instead, we got nothin'.

It's a bit of a bummer for us both. We'd gotten our hopes up quite high. Everything was textbook, it was all so damned easy! We should have known better... if it appears to be too good to be true, it probably is. But Carly and I have been lucky to find each other, we've not had to worry about our relationship like I'm sure almost everyone has in their lives, when everything is going well, wondering when the other shoe is going to drop. We were optimistic. We'd forgotten our ingrained cynicism for a little bit. And... our expectations were dashed.

So, the doctor says, we have to do a reset. After this one is done away with, Carly's body will take about two months to go back to normal and we can start "playing Russian roulette" again. That was the doctor's phrase for people who get pregnant without much planning, just firing into the dark. I corrected him by saying that we prefer to think of it as "letting nature take its course."

The good news, however, is that all of our parts appear to be working in proper order. The doc said that, based on our history, Carly got pregnant with the blighted ovum within a couple of days of going off the birth control. He says that the people he worries about are the ones that can't get pregnant at all--blighted ova or not--and that we are going to have no problems getting pregnant again. The anembryonic pregnancy is just pure statistical probability, and if things work out the way he expects, the next time we are ready to get a baby in there, it should be no problem.

So yes, statistical probability may have stopped the coming apocalypse for now, but HA HA HA, fuck you, world! It is inevitable.

5 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry. I also had to hear the words "not a viable pregnancy" twice - in Aug and Oct of 2009. I had to have a D&C each time because my pregnancies were far enough along to have heartbeats, but they still did not manage to attach properly to the uterine wall.

    After the second failure, they did genetic testing on me and discovered an abnormality similar to blood clots and advised me to start taking baby aspirin and go on blood thinners the next time I got pregnant. They also did testing on the tissue they removed which showed that both fetuses were female. Although I love my two sons very much, it breaks my heart that I never got to meet my two daughters.

    So, when my 4th pregnancy was confirmed, my doc immediately put me on twice daily injections of Lovenox (a form of Heparin) for the entire first trimester - which gave me a very bruised belly, but was well worth it when I finally set eyes on my second baby! :)

    Nevertheless, because I know too well how difficult this is, I admire you both very much for your strength and courage to carry on. May you have better news next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I would be patronizing to tell you, I hope none of that happens to us. We're tough and courageous and all, I'm sure, but if it comes to it and things are as hard as you'd had it, I'm not sure we're as invested in the whole baby thing as you are. After three strikes, we'll do the genetic workups, then decide whether we should keep trying or just get a Fiat.

      Our reaction, as you can read, above, was not too dramatic. Our doctor was a little taken aback, not certain what to tell us, because we didn't burst into tears or get hysterical about the losses. It helped that he immediately told us that we shouldn't have anything to worry about, next time, and that in this case, we're just hitting the statistical mean. I'll revise my reactions if it keeps coming up. But alas! Thank you for the kind words and the much-welcomed perspective.

      Our minor setbacks are nothing compared to what many folks see in their adventures. Hell, the day we got our bad news, a friend of my sister's died of some horrible cancer... while his wife was in labor. The baby was born about two hours after he died, in the same hospital. Now that puts my griping right out the door.

      Delete
    2. OMG! I can't even fathom how that poor woman is coping with such a conflicting turn of events! My deepest condolences to that family.

      And no, I also hope you don't have to go through what I did. I didn't mean to worry or upset you by sharing my experience. I just wanted to give you hope that even after adversity, I still achieved success. I remember my fertility doc telling me that all his branch of medicine can do is create the right conditions for fertilization such as promoting ovulation with Clomid, stimulating egg release on day 14 with an hCG trigger shot, and then introducing it to a lab treated specimen of sperm via IUI. But it's still a lot up to chance as far as the egg deciding to fertilize, continue cell dividing, and remain in the uterus. In fact, oddly enough, when I got pregnant the last time, I went back a few days later (on April 26, 2010) for a follow up blood test to check my beta quant level, and I was devastated when they told number went back down to zero. They told me I could start another cycle of treatment after my period, but at that point I was done and booked a trip to Florida to decompress. When I came home a few weeks later and started vomiting, I asumed I picked up a bug on the plane (as I never had morning sickness with my first kid). But when it didn't go away for a week (and I had no other flu like symptoms), I finally took a home pregnancy test which came back positive. So I called my fertility doc who got me in the next day, did an ultrasound, and confirmed the fetus was 6 weeks along with a conception date of April 20 - at which point I reminded him of the failed beta quant test on April 26. He merely said in reply "I can't explain it ether, Marlene, but just enjoy the miracle".

      Still, it's good that you've set your limitations. Ian and I also decided on the "three strikes and we're out" rule and only stuck with the low tech stuff. We never even considered IVF due to its extremely high cost as no fertility treatments (apart from the ultrasounds and D&Cs) were covered through my insurance.

      So I'm glad you've taken the "keep calm and carry on" approach for now. I think your doc is right - since you have age and health on your side, I'm also confident you'll have your success story pretty soon! :)

      Delete
  2. Sorry you received such bummer news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Eric! Lucky for me, I am prepared to deal with such things. I have tea.

      Delete