Saturday, May 19, 2012

Forever and Ever

As I am currently on the lam in Ohio, I don't know if I'll be able to update on time as I set out to do, in the beginning. So, I'll put up short updates and other things as I'm able.

This one goes out in honor of my friend Marlene, who posts here as "libmama," who I got to see for the first time in years, yesterday. Marlene said that, in the process of having her second child, she had two miscarriages, along with other complications. After some testing, she found out that the two children who didn't make it would have been girls, and that she will always kind of miss these daughters she never had.

Well, it turns out, those girls are probably part of Marlene, now. Mothers carry around fetal cells from their children in their blood pretty much forever, even from miscarried fetuses. This Radiolab episode tells an interesting story of the research going into these legacy cells...

Fetal Consequences - Radiolab



Give it a listen! And have a good weekend.

3 comments:

  1. Fascinating and comforting. Thanks for sharing, Andy. And yes, I agree with Mr. Krulwich: mothers should not just get one day, they should own the whole calendar! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really??? Forever? No wonder I'm crazy now... Ummm....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the cells can stay in your body until you die. I'M IN YOU! I'M IN YOUR BRAIN!

      Delete