Friday, April 18, 2014

Eastermas

So the kid is about nine and a half months old. He is huge for his age, apparently. People keep telling me so. I've stopped telling people he was a preemie, because they might think he's got gigantism. He doesn't. I think he doesn't, anyway.

Easter is this weekend. I don't celebrate Easter in any fashion whatsoever. I have over the last few years a habit of celebrating Passover in a minor way--having Seder dinner with my sister's family--but even that is more like a party game than a religious holiday. So it's strange for people to be wishing me a happy Easter. I don't know how to respond.

There are two kinds of Easter people. There are the ones who go to church and get all bummed out about Jesus getting killed and all, and there are the ones who just like bunnies and chocolate and eggs and hats. They tend not to mix much. The religious sorts generally don't like the way their most important holiday has been turned into a mutant bunny fest. The mutant bunny people don't want the lectures. This is basically true of all holidays. But with fewer Coca Cola icons for this one.

I'm not even a bunnies person. I find the whole process confusing and disturbing on a lot of levels and I don't expect that I'll pass any Easter traditions on to the Wolf. Dressing it up as a Spring Holiday about renewal and fertility is probably too subtle for an infant, and I don't really care as much about renewal and fertility as the average suburbanite, so I can't make the case for this one like I do for Winter Holiday. I just don't feel the urge to make a celebration out of this one.

For the season, maybe we'll go for Arbor Day or Earth Day, and maybe venerate Captain Planet.

Our daycare lady gave Wolf an Easter present. Carly said, "I didn't even get him an Easter present." I know why she is concerned, I feel kind of like something is off if my kid isn't getting the goods from his folks and has to rely on the daycare lady for magic bunnies. Something to sort out. For now, a video of the Wolf giggling and playing with toys.


No comments:

Post a Comment