Monday, June 11, 2012

Dream a Little Dream

I'm a little weirded out by this, but it happened: I had a dream about having a baby.

There are two reasons that this is weird, to me: The first is that I don't dream that often, and when I do dream, I almost never remember it. But this time, I don't just remember the dream, I remember it in kind of specific detail.

I was testing the problem of having a baby. I've never really held a tiny baby, a new one, less than at least 4 months old. All the babies I've held in real life have been kind of healthy, potato-shaped children. I haven't really held the pink, blotchy kind. So I was testing how to hold the thing, where to put the head in relation to my elbow, etc. It was a boy. Just stating that for posterity, not as any kind of prophecy. I know you all take stock in dreams. I don't, not really.

The dream was specifically set in a hospital, something you might see in a medical drama, but generally what I am used to for actual baby parts of hospitals.

The second reason it is unnerving is because when I do dream, I rarely dream about anything in a normal kind of context. It's usually couched in some kind of supernatural or action-oriented setting, like a zombie movie or a terrorist invasion or something. I don't ever dream about regular crap. So this is something, I think.

I figure that I'm coming to terms with the idea of having a kid. It's become something that I specifically want to do, and for a lot of reasons. So now, I am working on the kinds of things that I know I need to know, and hope that I'll have when the merry moment rolls around. Just musing there.

In other news, the procreation thing is on hold for at least a few days as Carly is in North Carolina with her family, on the annual family hootenanny. I failed to go for a lot of reasons, not least of which is work--I've been given a reasonably important special project that needs worked on and I don't want to let it slide right now. But anyway, hard to work on the baby stuff over the phone. Or the internet. But that gives me ideas....

No comments:

Post a Comment